BELTON, Texas- The UMHB women’s basketball team returns home this week after a week in Abilene. The Cru have two great matchups ahead, facing McMurry and Hardin-Simmons in Belton. Read all about it, check out our projected starting lineup and hear from head coach Mark Morefield in this week’s “Coach’s Clipboard”.
Projected starting lineup:
G- Brooke Elliot, Senior: 5.8 PPG, 1.8 APG, 4.3 RPG
G- Bethany McLeod, Junior- 6.0 PPG, 2.3 APG*, 2.2 RPG
G- Alexia Martin, Junior- 5.7 PPG, 1.8 APG, 2.2 RPG
F- Hannah Eggleston, Sophomore- 6.6 PPG, 1.8 APG, 6.3 RPG
C- Allaira Jones, Junior- 7.3 PPG*, 1.0 APG, 7.6 RPG*
About the opponent: McMurry Warhawks
Date: Jan. 28
Time: 5:30 p.m
Place: Belton, Teas (Mayborn Campus Center
- McMurry will be a familiar opponent for the Crusaders as they defeated the Warhawks in their last contest by score of 70-49. It was the largest conference victory this season for Morefield’s squad.
- This will be the first time that UMHB plays at home on a Thursday this season.
- McMurry enters the matchup in dead last place in the ASC West Division, with an 0-4 conference record. Meanwhile, the Cru is currently tied with Hardin-Simmons for the division lead, posting .700 winning percentage. (This season standings are based on win percentage).
- Though the Cru are heavily favored entering the matchup, Morefield said that his team cannot take any opponent lightly. “They are a very gritty team. You have to watch out for teams like that because they’re not going to lay down.”
About the opponent: Hardin Simmons Cowgirls
Date: Jan. 30
Time: 1:00 p.m.
Place: Belton, Texas (Mayborn Campus Center)
- Hardin-Simmons got the best of the Cru the last time these two teams battled it out, which was just last Thursday, as the Cowgirls won on their home court, 68-55.
- Morefield noted heading into the week that his teams hardly ever lose to an opponent twice, and will come out with a vengeance on Saturday afternoon. “I will tell you one thing about our program, we very rarely ever lose to a team twice. You look at the history of our games. When we have lost, we have not lost a second time. You have to like that. I think it can be attributed to our players. When they know they should have won, they have a tremendous long-term memory. The great thing about Hardin-Simmons is they get to come to our place. Everytime we see a team on the road that celebrates or does something else, one way or another they’ll come back to our place. We remember that. We’re always going to put that into our mental rolodex. That fuels our fire.”
- As mentioned above, Hardin-Simmons and UMHB are tied for first place in the ASC West Division standings with a .700 win percentage.
- HSU is led by guard Brittany Schnabel, who played all 40 minutes against UMHB last week and scored 20 points. For her performance, she was named to D3hoops’ Team of the Week.