Editor’s Note: Image above by David Morris/CentexPhoto
Following a challenging road loss to Abilene Christian last Thursday, the UMHB women’s basketball team will look to get back on the winning side of things with two showdowns this week; facing UNT-Dallas at home and ASC rival LeTourneau on the road. Here’s all you need to know about the week ahead for the Cru, including a projected starting lineup, and notes and details about each game, in this week’s “Coach’s Clipboard”.
Projected Starting Lineup:
PG- Brooke Elliot, Senior- 8.3 PPG, 2.0 APG, 5.3 RPG
G- Bethany McLeod, Junior- 6.3 PPG, 3.7 APG*, 2.7 RPG
G- Alexia Martin, Junior- 9.5 PPG*, 2.0 APG, 2.5 RPG
F- Hannah Eggleston, Sophomore- 5.7 PPG, 2.7 APG, 5.7 RPG
P- Taylor Kollmorgen, Graduate Student- 9.0 PPG, 0.0 APG, 9.0 RPG*
- Though Alexia Martin is in our projected starting lineup, it is important to note that she did not play against Abilene Christian. Her status is unclear for this week’s games and if she cannot play, expect sophomore Olivia Champion to step up in her absence. Champion has been consistent off the bench, averaging 8.3 points per game.
- Look for head coach Mark Morefield to put an emphasis on limiting turnovers, as the Cru turned the ball over 24 times against Abilene Christian, and are averaging a little over 21 per game. On the flip side, UMHB is forcing just 16 turnovers per contest, giving opponents a clear advantage.
- UMHB is now 2-1 on the season, with three non-conference games left.
- This week will be the final time the Cru take the floor in 2020, with their next game coming against North American University on January 2.
About the Opponent: University of North Texas-Dallas
Date: December 14
Time: 5:30 p.m.
Place: Belton, Texas (Mayborn Campus Center)
- This will be the second meeting between these two teams this year, as the Cru defeated the Trailblazers on the road in Dallas, 76-56, on December 1.
- Interestingly, it appears that UNT-Dallas has not played an official game since last taking on the Cru, as games against LeTourneau and UT-Dallas were called off.
- The Trailblazers, in their first season fielding a varsity team, are led by ShanDrea Yeldell and Mykala Dumas, who each scored 21 in UNT-Dallas’ last meeting with UMHB.
About the Opponent: LeTourneau
Date: December 18
Time: 5:00 p.m.
Place: Longview, Texas (Solheim Arena)
- LeTourneau has had a rough go of it to start the season, playing just two of its scheduled seven games due to COVID-19 issues on the opposing teams. Both were victories, one over UNT-Dallas and the other in an exhibition against North American University, a program UMHB will play on January 2.
- The Yellowjackets set up a different kind of schedule for non-conference play, with five exhibition games on the slate, three against D1 opponents. Before taking on the Cru, LeTourneau is scheduled to face division one Houston Baptist Monday night.
- Having played just one game, it is hard to get an accurate picture of LeTourneau’s key contributors, but senior guard Keauna Whitfield looks to be a consistent scorer, having put 27 points on the board against UNT-Dallas.
- Attendance in Solheim Arena is expected to be capped at 100.
- UMHB will face the Yellowjackets oncemore this season, on February 11 in Belton.