BELTON, Texas- UMHB women’s basketball had its season extended due to the recent winter storm, and will close out the 2020-21 campaign at home by hosting Sul Ross State and Howard Payne in two critical contests. Not only are there conference tournament seeding implications on the line, but it also is a prime opportunity for the Cru to keep its current two-game winning streak alive.
Projected Starting Lineup:
PG- Bethany McLeod, Junior- 6.8 PPG, 2.3 APG, 2.8 RPG
G- Brooke Elliott, Senior- 5.1 PPG, 2.0 APG, 3.6 RPG
G- Olivia Champion, Sophomore- 6.5 PPG, 1.2 APG, 2.5 RPG
F- Hannah Eggleston, Sophomore- 7.4 PPG, 1.9 APG, 6.2 RPG
P-Taylor Kollmorgen, Graduate Assistant- 7.2 PPG, 0.6 APG, 7.2 RPG
About the opponent: Sul Ross State
Date: March 4
Time: 5:30 p.m. CT
Place: Belton, Texas (Mayborn Campus Center)
- Sul Ross State enters the matchup with an 8-12 overall record and a 6-4 mark in ASC play. The Lobos are currently second in the West Division standings with a win percentage of .600.
- In the last matchup between the two opponents, Sul Ross earned a 55-46 victory on its home court.
- Sul Ross is located in Alpine, Texas and has been a member of the ASC since 1996.
- The Lobos average less than their opponents in nearly every statistic, as they typically score 61.3 points per game, but allow 64.6 points per game. Their rebounding margin is -1.3, meaning opponents average just over one rebound per game more. This is an area that UMHB can take advantage of, as the Cru boasts one of the best rebounding teams in recent UMHB history according to head coach Mark Morefield, with Kollmorgen and Eggleston leading the way. Ashley Faux, Kaitlyn Kollmorgen, Kasey Jo Hinton, and Meagan Johnson are all players who are strong on the boards and often come off the bench.
- Sul Ross is led by Vania Hampton, an Austin native who plays forward for the Lobos. The 5’10 standout can play in the paint or on the perimeter and nearly averages a double-double with 13.2 points and 9.6 rebounds per game.
Preview for Saturday’s game against Howard Payne will be added to this article on Friday.