BELTON, Texas- Returning to action after a break of over two weeks is the UMHB women’s basketball team, which is set to face North American University Saturday in Belton. The contest will do more than simply close out the non-conference slate for the Cru. It will get the team back into the rhythm of things before conference play kicks off. Hear from head coach Mark Morefield, take a look at our projected starting lineup and read about Saturday’s contest in this week’s edition of the women’s basketball “Coach’s Clipboard”.
Quotes from head coach Mark Morefield:
On the importance of playing a game following Christmas break before conference play begins: “The crucial thing is, it is so hard to schedule. In this year, the Southern College Athletic Conference (SCAC) is not playing. Some of the NAIAs are going right into conference. So it was hard to find a game, but it was important for us because we didn’t want to go into conference with just two weeks of practice. We wanted to get back into game shape.”
On freshmen who can step up in conference play: “Cheyanne Bonilla and Ashley Faux won us the game at LeTourneau. They did a tremendous job. So I think from that degree, those two are definitely going to see more minutes. And I think another freshman who is ready and is showing it in practice that we want to get in there more on Saturday is Kaitlyn Kollmorgen. I think she can be something of a difference maker. She’s going to make something happen. Looking over our analytics and things like that, she deserves a chance.”
Projected Starting Lineup
PG- Madison McCoy, Senior= 6.6 PPG, 3.8 APG, 3.4 RPG (Last Season)
G- Brooke Elliot, Senior- 6.8 PPG, 2.6 APG, 4.2 RPG
G- Bethany McLeod, Junior- 5.8 PPG, 3.0 APG*, 2.6 RPG
F- Hannah Eggleston, Sophomore- 5.2 PPG, 2.2 APG, 6.2 RPG
P-Taylor Kollmorgen, Graduate Student- 9.8 PPG*, 0.4 APG, 9.0 RPG*
- McCoy will be in the lineup for the first time this season, after she was sidelined with a knee injury. Morefield said that he and his staff will take a “NBA-type” approach to McCoy, resting her when necessary and not risking too much. Said he would rather have McCoy for the home stretch of the season at full strength, than push her too hard early in conference play.
- This will be UMHB’s final non-conference game before starting conference play Thursday at UT Dallas.
- Coming off the bench early in the game will likely be Olivia Champion, Alexia Martin and Allaira Jones. All three have played consistently this season; Jones in the post, Champion and Martin on the wing as guards. Martin has started four games this season, but with McCoy returning to the lineup, she will likely start the contest on the bench, as long as Elliot remains in the lineup.
About the Opponent: North American University
Date: January 2
Time: 3:00 p.m.
Place: Belton, Texas (Mayborn Campus Center)
- NAU had its last four games canceled, and last took the court on Nov. 29 against Philander College, falling 58-42.
- Makayla Patterson looks to be the biggest scoring threat for NAU. She has led the team with double-digit scoring efforts in multiple games this season, including against ASC opponent Howard Payne.
- This will be an exhibition contest for the Cru.